What is YMAP?
YMAP is a YMCA Integration & Leadership Program - Mapping the Way for Newcomer Youth. YMAP's main goal is to provide support and enrichment opportunities for newcomer youth to ease the adjustment to Canadian life. YMAP focus on self-governance and opportunities for newcomer youth to establish social and professional networks.
What We Do & Why
YMAP program is funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada as a settlement program for newcomer youth.
Through YMAP sessions based on themes such as life-skills training, career exploration, community involvement, and leadership development, we support newcomer youth to achieve their goals and to become active participants in their community.
Throughout the year, the YMAP program organizes and hosts a number of special events in the community. These events provide YMAP participants an opportunity to put into practice their developing leadership skills and to engage in their community.
We are always accepting new participants. Come out and find out what YMAP can do for you!
Things to do in YMAP
• Acquire Volunteer Hours
• Participate in Fun Field Trips
• Participate in Mentorship Sessions to learn about Post-secondary education and Canadian Culture
• Learn about Community
• Receive information about Settlement
• Build Community Connections
• Visit Cultural and Local Services
• Play Recreational Sports
• Create meaningful and long-lasting friendships
• Access to YMCA facilities
• Develop and enhance leadership skills
• work in teams and learn problem-solving skills
• Increase confidence and assertiveness
• Gain Canadian experience and a sense of belonging
• Participants must be Permanent Resident or Convention Refugee.
• 13 to 24 years old
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00pm-5:00pm
YMCA Centre Branch, Multipurpose Room D
Wednesdays from 5:30pm-7:30pm
White Oaks Family Centre, 565 Bradley Avenue
Monday to Friday from 3:30pm-6:30pm
YMCA Youth Centre, 536 Pelissier Streets
For more information, please contact
Marcela Nieto Arias, YMAP Program Coordinator
519.860.0907 or by email email@example.com